Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Chrismouse Meme

A Chrismouse Meme
Mood Swing Mabel had a great meme that I’m sharing with all of you.  Feel free to grab it and use it for your own blogs. The Twelve days of Christmas have been celebrated since medieval times ~ traditionally beginning the day after Christmas Day (now known as Boxing Day) and ending with Twelfth Night.  And since the [...]

Mood Swing Mabel had a great meme that I’m sharing with all of you.  Feel free to grab it and use it for your own blogs.

The Twelve days of Christmas have been celebrated since medieval times ~ traditionally beginning the day after Christmas Day (now known as Boxing Day) and ending with Twelfth Night.  And since the festive season is upon us ~ I thought it might be fun to do a Christmas meme!

Rules:

  1. Copy the delightful Chrismouse picture to your post.
  2. Copy these rules and the explanation of the meme (above).
  3. Link the person who tagged you.
  4. List 12 things: either about a Christmas present or memories about Christmas past (or a mixture of both)
  5. Tag as many or as few people as you like!

 The Girl from the Ghetto’s “very special” Christmas memories:

1)  When I was little, my great-gramma used to make these wonderful Italian Anchovie bread twists that were very oily and delicious.  She’s make me my own very special bag without anchovies.  MMM.  Best part of Christmas Day.  I’d die for a taste of one right now.  I haven’t had once since 1989, as that was her last Christmas alive.  Any of you Italians out there have a recipe for me?

2)  On Christmas Eve my half-brother and I got to open one gift, and it wasn’t the smallest one, either.  It was great going to bed holding that one gift while dreaming about all the rest to come.

3)  I learned there wasn’t a Santa in first grade, when I found my mothers secret present staff.  I approached her and asked her outright and she told me the truth, then denied it the next year, which was hilarious, as I had just seen her wrapping gifts. 

4)  My great-grandma used to slip me an extra $20 every holiday on top of all of my gifts when she hugged me goodbye.  My mom and brother never caught on, and it was so great having secret money I could use to fund my clothes fund. 

5)  The best Christmas presents I received as a child were books.  My first hardcover book was Black Beauty and I still have it on my bookshelf today.  A close second was my calligraphy pens and parchment paper.  My favorite gift I received as a teen was contacts, as I was blind and refused to wear glasses.

6)  One year my mom could only afford to give me four tapes for Christmas.  I was thrilled, because it was the only four things that I had asked for – AC/DC, Huey Lewis & The News, the Eagles, and Van Halen.  that same year my friend’s mother told me she spent $500 on each of the kids and did I think it was enough?  I told her what I had gotten and the look on her face was priceless, but still, you could see she was still thinking she hadn’t spent enough. 

7)  After my great-grandma died my family fell out of celebrating Christmas.  Thankfully my friend The Big A always had me over when I came home from college, and she even had made a stocking for me at her house.  I think her daughter was three before she realized I wasn’t her big sister, which always cracks me up to this day. 

8)  When I was young we would drive around and look at all the houses who went overboard on the holiday decorations.  Since my mom normally was terrified to drive and braked at every block, Christmastime was the perfect time for her manic driving, because it gave you a better opportunity to see everything on your neighbors lawn.

9)  We had those igloo building blocks and so did my next door neighbor T.  We’d always try to build mega ice forts on either side of the fence in competition.  His was always better to my dismay, but he had more help than I did.

10)  After seeing those crazy old men do the Polar Bear Plunge on tv I was brave enough to go sit in the snow in my bathing suit.  My neighbor P. saw me and thought I was nuts.  I was just trying to prove I was bad ass. 

11)  My brother would get up around 4 am and his parents let him, so we would all be forced to get up at the crack of dawn.  I’d rush through so I could go back to bed, as I normally would go to bed around 2 am.  (I had insomnia since I was five) As I got older I’d try to sleep in, because the presents got crappier and there wasn’t a lot to look forward to.  One year I had slept in until 7:30 am until my mom came to tell me he was trying to open and keep my gifts.  I think I lost out on a few that year, but it was nice being able to sleep in.

12)  One year for Christmas my mom made us tacos, as we weren’t going to my grandmothers because she was pissed my mom got divorced.  I was thrilled, as I hate turkey and ham and I could finally eat enough on a holiday.

Posted in 70s, 80s, Bipolar Mother, Christmas, Detroit, Detroit bloggers, Dysfunctional, family, friends, fun, life, Michigan, Michigan Bloggers Tagged: Breaking news, Christmas blogs, Christmas posts, Christmas stories, Dsyfunctional holiday stories, dysfunctional families, entertainment, humor, news, Non-Traditional Christmas stories, personal, sarcasm

No comments:

Post a Comment